[olug] support costs. for Linux

Schmeits, Roger schmeits at clarksoncollege.edu
Mon Oct 8 13:28:06 UTC 2001

>I was thinking of outgoing traffic as a small
>outgoing request with a large incoming return traffic.  Thinking of
>traffic in terms of outgoing and incoming requests usually yields the
>reverse of thinking of it in terms of outgoing and incoming packets.

Just this year we has started to use eCollege.  ECollege is a portal for
small or large schools that want to (insert fancy marketing term).  We now
have numerous faculty members posting audio Real Player files to their web
sites on eCollege. Prior to this our bandwidth width was just enough to
satisfy everyones need.  Now with faculty memebers uploading files ...well
you guess what going on.  Traffic get bogged down between the hours of 9am ~
5pm.  The range of files range from 15M to 25M and will get larger as the
semester goes on.

To answer your question I would venture a guess that inbound and outbound
traffic is about equal this semester.  Last semester it was inbound that had
prefernce.  In the future outgoing traffic (larger files will be uploaded)
will increase.

> My experience with cable is that you get 1 to 2 T1 of bandwidth inbound
and
> only 256 to 512K outbound.

I will have to think about that one.  I am assuming I would have to change
some of my router settings to implement such an idea?  We sit behind a
firewall which is out of my control.  Please note we are part of the
Nebraska Health System and they control the firewall an numerous other
routers.

>Also, assuming you are referring to clarksoncollege.edu here, verify
>that your IIS server has not contracted a worm and started generating
>traffic itself.

Locked down tight. Survived Code Red II just fine.  I have snort installed
so it was fun to watch everything coming in to our machine.

Thanks for the replies .. I hate talking to myself about these problems...

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org