[olug] 2.4.5 warning

Brian Roberson brian at bstc.net
Wed May 30 14:23:43 UTC 2001

you are semi-correct, you have to take in account that there are daemons
that fork to the background, that do not read a profile like your
interactive shell does. This is a confirmed issue in a few versions of
(x)/inetd , swat, and a few others that are not coming to mind right now.
These apps do not specifically set the umask. take a look at a recent debian
distro, last time I looked the umask was not set globally ( in an /etc/???
file somewhere ), due to the kernel setting it to 022 anyways, but with a
kernel upgrade to 2.4.? you have a big hole now, but only with apps that do
not either
a) use a global environment that is configurable, or
b) do not specifically set the umask on startup.