[olug] bad practices at home - not relevant!

David Walker linux_user at grax.com
Sun May 27 05:32:25 UTC 2001

If the MTU values given are fairly standard then outgoing packets should
never have a problem since they will always be ethernet packets and are not
likely to be routed over an X.25 network, therefore they will not ever hit a
router that cannot handle the MTU of 1500 since that is the lowest likely
MTU.

Incoming packets must hit an MTU equal to or less than the router with the
internal IP prior to hitting that router so that that particular router will
never have to fragment their packets or reject them.  @home can count on the
final destination of virtually all packets on their network being ethernet
so couldn't they adjust their routers accordingly?