[olug] bad practices at home

Brian Roberson brian at bstc.net
Mon May 21 15:56:26 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon" <thechunk at thechunk.dhs.org>
To: <olug at bstc.net>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: [olug] bad practices at home

>I am actually greatful you can help me with this.
yikes!

> I just know that the standard exists most OS are ready for it and no one
is doing it.
try to enable ipv6 on NT....

> What has to happen?  If someone started implementing an IPV6 network
internally can they do mapping to the internet?
I think this is feasible, but never attempted it.

>I was under the impression ( read ignorance ) that the two protocols where
compatible.
at Layer1/2 they are, layer 3 and up ( ipv(4/6) is layer 3 in the OSI
model ) they are not compatible, that is the nature of the beast... routing
for v4/v6 as you may have guessed does not intermigle due to the layer they
run at (layer 3).

>  Anyway I am just curious.   Hope I am not offending anyone.
> -Jon

absolutely not, good discusion on the list is always welcome :-)