[olug] bad practices at home

Brian Roberson brian at bstc.net
Mon May 21 05:21:35 UTC 2001

I would have to side with Vincent on this. It is bad mojo when you cant
pull out a ip subnet calculator and do proper sub/supernetting. Being as
wide spread as @home, and owning an entire class A subnet, what are they
thinking? However, it is not in any RFC that you must use public ip
space from edge-to-edge. I think the reason they are doing this is that
they are getting ready to cut people over to dhcp/Nat to reduce the
inbound traffic abuse. Also, as a further implementation issue, they
_have_ to run either an IGP or use static routing. Use of a dynamic
routing protocol with private ip's used internally. ( IGP = Interior
gateway protocol ) and then on the edge routers, they redistribute IGP
<-> EGP... I am rather curious as to what they use though...