[olug] Recommendations for Linux/Windows backup software/hard ware?

Rogers, John C NWD02 John.C.Rogers at nwd02.usace.army.mil
Fri May 4 20:57:44 UTC 2001

Try Arkeia from Knox software.  It has Unix/Linux and NT client or server
modules and I think Sony has a AIT2 5 cartridge robot that will not make you
cry.  The AIT2 can hold 50-100GB per tape depending on compression and data
types being dumped.  The Sony tapes will make you cry at one hundred bucks
each.

The following: http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=VW80178&cat=pc
is a 4 cartridge one drive unit that can backup 400GB.  If your needs are
smaller try a AIT1 unit which is less money with smaller capacity on the
tape.  DLT has the new super tape units out or the older IV units are
getting cheaper.

We have a big Sony/Qualstar unit that will make you cry for the price but we
are also backing up over 1.TB.  The Arkeia software is one of the cheaper
commercial products compared to Veritas or Stornet.

Good luck,
John