[olug] More DHCP Help

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Sat Mar 17 16:43:45 UTC 2001

> Okay, this is a followup to my earlier question on DHCP.
>
> I got the DHCP client working. But, lets begin with the problems.
>
> Problem 1: DHCP attempts to query eth0, eth1, and lo for an address.
> I want it to only list on eth0, my so-called WAN port (ie the one
> connected to @home). I want this to work better.

I'm assuming you're using Debian - it's the only distro I know of that
does this :)

In /etc/rcS.d there is a file called (iirc) S40dhclient.  It shouldn't be
there.  Remove it.

In /etc/network/interfaces make sure there is the line:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

> Problem 2: I want to run a DHCP server on eth1. This will handle all the
> masqueraded machines.  I have modified the init script to start dhcp
> like this: "dhcp eth1" to have it start on eth1.

What I've done is have the dhcpd init script "source" /etc/default/dhcp.
That sets the environment variable "INTERFACES"; the dhcp init script was
also altered to tack that variable onto the end of the dhcpd command line.

That was a Debian system, btw :)  Similar magic can be done with files
under /etc/sysconfig and /etc/rc.d/init.d (/etc/init.d for RH7) aon RedHat
derived distros.

> Now, I try to start the dhcp server and get this:
>
>     No subnet declaration for eth1 (0.0.0.0).
>     Please write a subnet declaration in your dhcpd.conf file for the
>     network segment to which interface eth1 is attached.
>     exiting.
>
> Here is what is in my dhcpd.conf:
>
> # option definitions common to all supported networks...
> option domain-name "blvue1.ne.home.com";
> option domain-name-servers 24.3.232.33, 24.3.232.34;
>
> option subnet-mask 255.255.255.224;
> default-lease-time 600;
> max-lease-time 7200;
>
> subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>   range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.200;
> }
>
> Okay, now, what do I need to fix to get this working right? Im running
> out of time to get my @home-mandated reconfiguration done.

The dhcpd.conf is fine but eth1 needs an IP number in the 192.168.1/24
range - either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 is what most people would tend
to use.

- --
Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: BDA4 C23C 1989 31FF CBE8  7EB4 6CA7 9636 941E 8451
GPG key id: 941E8451
GPG public key: http://www.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/public-key.asc