[olug] Weekend Meeting?

Daniel Pfile pfiled at marietta.edu
Thu Jun 28 04:22:01 UTC 2001

| Daniel Pfile        | I'm too cool for a signature |
| pfiled at marietta.edu |                              |

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Paul T. McNally wrote:

> Hey Daniel, do you still work the swing shift, evenings. I'm assuming
> you
> do and will for quite some time.
>
> The rest of OLUG (like Phil):
>
> Which is why Daniel has not been to a meeting of OLUG for quite
> some time.

Yes, I'm a swing shifter till sept or so, they just decided to implement
some sort of rotating shift thing, so some of us will get a chance to see
daylight, and a few others will get to know what it's like to be part of
the 'other people'.

> Is there anyway possible we could meet on the first Tuesday of each
> month (like we do) and then meet like the 3rd Sunday or Sat. (except of
> course
> when that would fall on a damn silly holiday)?? Instead of meeting on
> the Thursday evening??
>
>  If we could have a place to meet, i.e. Adam Haeder, if we
>      could meet at AIM??
>
> Then we could do something like another poll on
> http://olug.bstc.net.

I don't really care if we do it on sat or sun, but sat usually seems to be
the day I'm out an about having fun, while sunday is more of a sit at
home, relax, and clean house kind of day. I'm probobly not alone in
this... Having sunday broken up by olug wouldn't be to bad. I'm betting
the people with families wouldn't agree though, but my only family is my
computers.

> I don't think Daniel is the only person we miss because
> we had to switch to weekday nights only. I think if we
> could make this change, it would bring in some key
> people who have not been able to attend anymore
> and think of the poor schmucks who are computer
> operators, trained monkeys, etc who can't make it
> to OLUG cuz they work the swing shift. These are the
> very people who need Linux and OLUG the most.

As I always say, there are 3 kinds of people out and about at 2 am. Cops,
drunks, and computer geeks. It's always funny to see people ask me what
I'm doing at 3 am and I respond "eating lunch". But that's mids mostly.
Swings is just as bad, only you have no social life, and the time you are
home has worse trafic. At least the bandwidth is nice at 3 am though.

-- Daniel