[olug] Advocacy Idea

Jason Ferguson jferguson3 at home.com
Sun Jun 17 21:21:21 UTC 2001

My choice for a distro for newbies, is, as always, Mandrake 8.0. I
suppose we could modify/customize it (olug logo when you activate the
framebuffer rather than the penguin), OLUG backgrounds for the default
on window managers, etc. The investment required would be as follows:

- Blank CDs, 650 MB. (I bought 100 of them for $15)
- Labels (This will be somewhat expensive, but people arent gonna pick
up cheap looking crap)
- Evelopes (so as not to scratch the CDs)
- "Quick Start Instructions"

I think that a $100 investment would work pretty well, and that $100
doesnt have to be all up front or from one person.

I also recommend doing this for a one-week period. We could declare the
last week of July to be "Omaha Linux Week" and concentrate on doing it then.

Wish I was gonna be here to see it.

Jason