[olug] Idea for July 7 metting

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Thu Jun 14 22:40:22 UTC 2001

Quoting Adam Korab <adam at ledhazard.net>:

> While I'm certainly not the person to talk about it, I'm curious as to
> what exactly you're thinking of as QoS.  Machine uptime?  Service
> availability? I've dealt with networking QoS (throughput, latency, etc) and
> I'm not quite making the connection about how you'd measure objective QoS on
> a UNIX machine.
>
> Sounds rather interesting, though, so please enlighten me. :)

I was actually thinking of networking quality of service, like allowing a long
download run but not totally ruin any other data transfers going on.  It's also
known as bandwidth management.

Unlike policy routing with Linux, almost all the documentation available
is nearly useless.  It doesn't help any when the only person who really
understands the necessary tool (tc from the iproute or iproute2 package)
doesn't speak English very well and hasn't been very helpfull in writing
documentation.

I was hoping someone would know something, which is why I suggested it.

Phil