[olug] FW: [SANSUG] Meeting Date, Intrusion Detection Talk

Schmeits, Roger schmeits at clarksoncollege.edu
Thu Jun 14 20:26:28 UTC 2001

If anyone is interested...

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Elfering [mailto:elfering at wernerlogistics.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 2:25 PM
To: 'sansug at aroundomaha.com'
Subject: [SANSUG] Meeting Date, Intrusion Detection Talk

First things first:
The overwhelming consensus was to move tonight's scheduled meeting to next
week, Thursday June 21 at 7PM. This will be held at the Werner Enterprises
auditorium, and I will have very detailed directions posted to a web site by
late tomorrow.

IDS Talk:
At the initial formation meeting, someone had volunteered to give a 20
minute talk overviewing intrusion detection.

I didn't write their name down, and now to be sure we have that agenda item
covered need to know who volunteered and if they are still going to be
attend/talk.

If word isn't back to me by Friday some time, we'll probably submit to the
group asking someone else if they'd like to speak.

For those who have just joined the list, this user group came about from a
series of SANS classes we held this spring. Near the end of the Network
Essentials course, we decided to try and form a practical security forum for
Omaha area IS/Security professionals. Something that stresses communication,
information sharing and useful security practices.

For the first meeting, the consensus was to do intrusion detection. I have
about a one hour presentation ready on how to setup a Windows 2000 Snort
server, complete with MySQL and a web based GUI.

I'll post up an official agenda and overview by Friday or over the week-end
at the latest.

Please feel free to spread news of the meeting! Any and all are welcome to
attend.

Dave Elfering
Network Security Manager - Werner Enterprises
(402) 894-3617