[olug] Cox at home

Timothy G. O'Brien irishMASMS at netscape.net
Tue Jul 17 01:00:21 UTC 2001

olug at bstc.net wrote:

> I'm in Gretna and we are just getting COX now, so I'm looking at COX at home.
> They told me I have the choice of using a cable modem from them or getting
> my own.  How good are the ones they offer and how well do they work with
> Linux?  I was just at the computer2go website and saw they have a cable
> modem for $180 that connect to the PC via ethernet, so that would be an
> easy install.
>
> I'm on RedHat 7.1
>
> Thanks,
>
> Quinn

I have been using Cox at home for about two years now. At the time they had a special deal for a self-install when you purchased the modem form a participating retailer. Computer Renaissance in Papillion had the running cheap deal for a Toshiba modem then, and I figured I would have the modem paid off in about two years (instead of paying the $15 monthly rental).
Yes, the install is easy/a bit tricky, what was interesting for my install - being the first in my area to get it! The Cox folks was not sure if it would work - interesting they let me do the self install!
Shortly after my install I also went ahead and procured a Linksys 4 port hub/switch that has the basic "firewall" since I was in no way able to set up my own. Hopefully my experiences with OLUG will change that!

HTH

Irish

--
   Timothy "Irish" O'Brien