[olug] Computer components

Adam Korab adam at ledhazard.net
Sat Jul 14 19:46:34 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 02:25:11PM -0500, kaygee wrote:
> If you use pricewatch use it in conjunction with resellerratings.com
>
> Many companies rated on that site and it's been my experience that the
> rating is pretty accurate most of the time.  However, read the comments,
> but don't put too much stock in a couple of people blasting the company if

Just don't ever buy anything from House of Computers (hoct.com)  The prices
are consistently the cheapest, at least on HDDs but as I found out the hard
way, RMA'ing defective items is impossible, and the Better Business Bureau
has nothing positive to say about them, either.

The gist of my story is that I bought a Western Digital drive from them which
was sold with the full 3 year manufacturer's warranty, but was actually an
"out of region" disk which meant that WD USA couldn't do anything, and HOC
wouldn't help me either.  Ergo, I now have a nice Western Digital
paperweight.

--Adam
--
"A workstation without a network is like a geek in a field all by himself.
It looks intriguing, unusual and different but no one will come within 20