[olug] LDAP

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Thu Jul 12 00:20:26 UTC 2001

Quoting Jeff Hinrichs <jlh at home.com>:

> Thanks a bunch.

No problem.

> I, too, will be implementing LDAP in the near future so this is welcome
> info.  In setting up LDAP is it possible for it to act as a repository for
> corporate and individual address information.  Say I want my users to be
> able to access shared pools of address information such as the employee
> directory and I also want various other shared pools for things like
> Vendors.  I'd also like to let them store their personal addresses on the
> LDAP server.
>
> Is this possible?

Perfectly possible.

> Is this wise?

That's up to you :)  I wouldn't necessarily do it that way - it may end up
being a big problem for people to have to update their address books via a
web page.

I wouldn't be as big a deal if people could update the directory from their
email client, but that's rarely the case - most email clients treat LDAP as
a read-only information repository.

> What would you suggest for a tree structure?
> corporate
>     vendors
>         Vendor A
>         Vendor B
>     employees
>         Emp A
>         Emp B
>     employeeapersonal
>         Personal A
>         Personal B

Looks fine here.

> Then I would setup an LDAP address Book on the Mail Client that would
> point at the points of the tree?

Yes

> or am I just confusing the hell out of you<g>

Nope :)

Phil