[olug] mounting my cd-rom

mesc mescie at home.com
Tue Jan 30 18:54:35 UTC 2001

My cd-rw is mounted primary/slave just like my cd-rom  was.I just
disconnected the ribbon cable from that to  the cd-rw I installed making my
cd-rom inactive.This is  how  linux detects the  cd-rw>>Jan 30 10:03:36
omhan1 kernel: hdd: CD-W54E, ATAPI CDROM drive..so it doesn't detect it  as
a cd-rw drive so I don't think it requires SCSI emulation.And with this line
>>/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0 in
/etc/fstab I get  this error when I try to moumt the cd-rw>>
mount: /dev/hdd is not a valid block device.Yet farther down in
/var/log/messages it says this>>
Jan 30 10:03:36 omhan1 kernel: ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi....so now I'm
confused as to wher it needs SCSI emulatin or  not or if I can just pass the
hdd=ide-scsi command to the kernel at  the lilo prompt?Then  to  make
matters worse this is in /var/log/messages>>Jan 30 10:03:18 omhan1 isapnp:
AZT3011/-1[0]{IDE CDROM DISABLED  }: Port 0x220; --- Enabled OK .......does
this mean the drive was disabled then??I've been changing the cd-rom line in
/etc/fstab and the most promising response was when I changed the /dev to
/dev/hdc1 and then tried to mount it and I got  "You must specify a
filesystem" I then used the -t switch with both vfat and ext2 whch resulted
in this error "Bad line in /etc/fstab"Does this help you all or did I
thouroghly confuse you? :)

                Gary Martin

you might change the /etc/fstab from /dev/cdrom to /dev/hd_, replacing _
with the appropriate letter for the drive. Is the new cdrw drive set to
the same master/slave setting as the old drive?