[olug] dd --- the coolest utility ever

Chris Garrity m0ntar3 at home.com
Tue Jan 23 03:28:14 UTC 2001

	My rationale for dd is its format independence, I don't altogether trust the
integrity of using tools like cp and tar with MS file systems, not because cp
and tar would be faulty; but for the conspiracy theorist in me.. call it
"antitrust." With dd it's scoop and plop, under the filesystem, hardware level..
hmmmm yummy bs=256M.

	Power Quest's Parition Magic (or should that be "Partition Tragic"), strikes me
somewhere between useful, bad, and evil.. it's either "Magical," or a tremendous
headache.. just my experience.

	I have gone the cp -R route, but then there's the annoying part about making
the thing bootable afterwards, and the sound cp makes as it moves everything
over.. ick. I like the (cd /src; tar cf - .) | (cd /dest; tar xvf - .)
power-move, I live for one liner's like that.. today I also discovered the fun
of ls *.c | xargs cc -c.. I think a temple needs to be built for xargs. Haven't
touched cpio or fips, but I plan on looking.

	Err.. dd comes on the trinux boot floppy (the first one), and the floppy
handles vfat and a bunch of other file systems, so that's why I used it to image
a drive (a lot cheaper then PQ Drive Image Pro and no timeout).. but then again
I got this bigger drive over.. me think's it's gonna be the power-move and
marking the new drive bootable with fdisk (if that's even necessary I'll find
out).

	http://www.trinux.org