[olug] Firewall/NAT/Router Questions

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Mon Jan 15 18:45:44 UTC 2001

> Is a firewall the same as NAT?

No.

> How is this different from a router?

A firewall is a router that does packet filtering.

> I think I understand that a router cannot route packets from one
> netmask to another netmask.

Actually that's what routers are susposed to do :)

> So to get this to work I have to set up ipmasq for 2.2 kernels or
> netfilter for 2.4 kernels.

Correct.  2.4 also has a compatibility module for the older ipchains
command to work.

> Another thing I noticed was ipalias, what is that?

I'm not familiar with that command.  IP aliases on the ethernet
interfaces, perhaps?

> I think the first thing I should do with my turbolinux installation is
> upgrade everything to the 2.4 kernel and compile my own then go with
> netfilter.  Next I need to make sure the external network eth0 works
> and then the internal network eth1 works.  I've tried finding some info
> on Route in the man pages and the Net-HOWTO but both seem to be to
> confusing to me right now.
>
> Now ish da time on shprockets when we rant.
>
> Why do does Debian piss me off so?
> Because it's bootdisks never want to go.

They've never given me any trouble.

> Using rawrite 2, 1.3 and 1.2,
> the disks always fail, what do I do?

Boot from CD!

> That was my lame attempt at poetry, but pretty well describes my
> loathing for debian.

Installation is the hardest part.

Once you get it working you'll wonder why every RPM-based distro has such
back asswards package management (I do whenever I need to screw around
with RedHat - resolving dependencies by hand when you need to install
something sucks).

> Slackware, TurboLinux, and Redhat all worked perfectly for me to make
> bootdisks but I have never had a Debian bootdisk work correctly.

Bad floppies?  Trouble with the user interface?  Bad disk drive?

> I can also never find a Debian ISO and their documentation on their
> site about what to download to install a base system and upgrade later
> is horribly confusing and has many recursive links.

I've never had any trouble getting ISOs for Debian (unless you count
bandwidth constraints as trouble).  You can find some at:

ftp://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/iso/debian/2.2_rev2/i386
ftp://ftp.eecs.umich.edu/pub/linux/debian-cd/ (although they only have 2.2
rev 0)
http://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian-cd/2.2_rev2

That last one also has FTP and rsync available, and is on the Internet 2.

Yes, documentation tends to suck for Debian.  That's why we try to help
people out in the debian-user mailing list :)

[snip computer plans]

> I almost have my wife convinced that this would be cool!!

You're lucky to have such an understanding immediate family :)

- --
Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: BDA4 C23C 1989 31FF CBE8  7EB4 6CA7 9636 941E 8451
GPG key id: 941E8451
GPG public key: http://www.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/public-key.asc