[olug] [OT] Very weird problem

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Thu Jan 4 18:14:42 UTC 2001

Hello all,

I have a user whose computer (win95) is emitting a siren sound
periodically from the system speaker (the one plugged into the
motherboard).

at first, i dismissed it as a noisy fan, but she was persistent and made
me come and listen to it. it is not a fan, that's for sure!

she has a sound card, but no speakers attached to it, i don't think that
windows even has the drivers installed. i do know it's coming from the
system speaker, because i unplugged it and it stopped, and then started
again when i plugged the speaker back in to the motherboard.

the sound starts and stops without any deliberate intervention. i'm
going to look to see if there are any trojans, viruses, etc. that are
known for doing this. I'm don't know how one gets an analog signal
(other than beeps) to come out of the speaker header on the motherboard,
though.

Has anyone encoutered a similar situation? The sound sounds like a
pre-recorded siren sound, like you might hear on a toy firetruck or
something. it even sounds like it has background noise/hiss in the
"recording." Weird. got me baffled.

--
Chad Lauritsen                          | 1000 N 2nd Ave
System Administrator                    | Logan, IA 51546

Mairzee doates andozee doates anlitta lamzee-divee
A-kiddalee divee too wooden-choo.