[olug] new graphics card

Adam Lassek lunatik at radiks.net
Thu Feb 22 21:43:58 UTC 2001

It's not a video card, it's called an MPEG Decoder. What it does is
decode the MPEG2 (or 1) video in hardware before displaying it on the
screen. How most of them work is by a loopback, you plug your video card
into the video-in on the card and plug your monitor into the decoder
card, and the decoded video is composited onto the video. It also have
outputs on it that allow you to hook your tv up to it. The two most
popular brands for this are the Creative Dxr2/3 and the Sigma Designs
Hollywood+, both of which use the same chip and have rudimentary support
in Linux, but it ain't gonna be fun setting up. Sigma also sells a much
more expensive Netstream2000 which has offical linux support, but it's
about $240.