[olug] command not found

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Thu Feb 15 18:16:32 UTC 2001

sounds like your $PATH environment variable got removed. Try

export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:

To restore it to some of the most popular places for execuatables. Not
sure why it would have been changed, but try that to see if it helps.

mesc wrote:

> I was already running mandrake 7.0 and I decided to try debian potato on
> the other half of my hard drive,The install went smoothly but this
> morning when I booted up mandrake immediately upon logging in I was
> greeted with this>>
> bash:id:command not found
> bash:dircolors:command not found
> bash:tty:command not found
> bash:mesg:command not found
> I also got command not found after most every command I tried like less
> and startx.I could however cd to my home dir but the shell change from a
> bash shell to a [@omhan1 ~] shell by itself (I don't know what the name
> of that shell is called so I just typed out it's prompt) I also checked
> my .bash_history and just the commands I tried since booting up were in
> it,no others.
>     Mandrake and debian share a swap space because I didn't see during
> the debian  install how to give debian it's own swap space,was that a
> bad idea and is there a way to give debian it's own swap space?
>     I'm getting off the initial subject here,is there a way to fix my
> command not found problem?
>
>         Thank you,Gary Martin

Chad Lauritsen                          | 1000 N 2nd Ave
System Administrator                    | Logan, IA 51546
Perfection Learning Corporation         | 712-644-2831 Ext 223