[olug] Sun and Microsoft Throw Down

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Sat Feb 10 04:39:02 UTC 2001

Slashdot did pick this up, on Weds, I think.

I have been trying to learn Java for the past couple of
weeks.  I really like it - it's a very clean language, and
they have worked out some of the speed issues in the lastest
versions.   As far as Microsoft goes . . .  .NET is good
idea, but it's not new.  And, like a lot of things
Microsoft, it looks good on paper, but they probably won't
implement it well.  And that's too bad . .. I'm really
looking forward to the day when I can do string-level
manipulations on an XML file in Python/Perl, then send it to
Java for the transformation to HTML, and then through it at
a web server to put it on the Web.  *That* is what excites
me the most of the idea of .NET - it could let us use each
language for it's strengths, and we can not worry about the
weaknesses.  I'm curious what the finished product is going
to look like, but I am trying not to get my hopes up.

Okay, enough of my rambling . . .

Mike

On Fri, 09 Feb 2001 20:14:00 -0600 Jason Ferguson <Jason Ferguson <jferguson3 at home.com>> wrote:

> Thought some of you might be interested in this. Slashdot is bound to
> get it soon if it hasnt already.
>
> http://www.sun.com/dot-com/realitycheck/index.html
>
> Jason
> El Vice Presidente

Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://www.binary.net/thehaas
GnuPG key: http://www.binary.net/thehaas/mikeh.gpg

"What good is having someone who can walk on water if you don't follow
in his footsteps?"