[olug] Samba rant and request for feedback

dbw lug at robotz.com
Fri Feb 9 00:12:10 UTC 2001

Concerning Samba.

I am using Samba as 1)pdc for an NT network -w- all clients being
NT Workstation 4.0 and 2) office file server 3) NT user authentication
to the NT domain (which is Samba).

Both at home and at work I am using a Linux Samba driven network
server in very similar ways.  The primary difference is that the
number of users on my company’s home office LAN is greater (10 or
more during a given work day) than the users on my home network (my
wife and I, and sometimes a third computer when we have a guest over
for Quake).

Getting right to the point, I haven’t really had any problems on
my home LAN using Samba.  It works great and is a much better value
as compared to buying a licensed copy of NT server for use at my
home.  At home all the client pc’s are either Linux or win98 and
I use NT domain authentication.  My wife and I are reasonably careful
that we always log off properly and the setup-using Samba seems reasonably
trouble free.  I have had this arrangement for nearly two years now
using Slackware and Redhat and two different versions of Samba.

The office is an entirely different matter.  Nothing but trouble!
I thought that Samba worked so great on my home LAN that it would
be a blessing at work.  The idea of getting rid of NT server and
working in an environment I enjoyed, ie Linux, would complement that
which I read about Samba being far more stable and easier to manage
compared to an NT domain server.

At least one office user’s profile is corrupted a week.  Usually
because that individual did not log off properly or something, but
still it seems quite fragile.

Using ‘create mask = 0777’ for example, at home, works fine,  On
the office LAN files are created so that the group permission do
now allow write access.  So when one of the office staff tries to
modify a file created on the public drive by another member of the
office staff, they cannot save.  There are no directory redundancies
or syntactical errors to explain this behavior.  All users are members
of the ‘user’ group. Because my configuration at the office so closely
resembles the configuration at home, there should not be a problem;
given that it has always worked fine at home.

Today for no apparent reason the Samba box will not allow half of
my office users to log in.  Files that appear on the file system
under the Linux server itself are invisible to the network neighborhood
browser on the winNT workstations.  When Shari and Jamie log in all
of their desktop icons are missing and they cannot access msie.
Yet Tanya’s login and desktop is fine.  Keeping in mind that no one
touches this server and that it is in a secure area + is not on the
Internet at all to be exploited, I can find no reasonable explanation
for all of these problems that have continuously plagued my office
installation of a Samba file server.  After all, I went with Samba
over NT because I have so little free time to baby-sit these servers,
I wanted something closer to the idealistic “maintenance free” concept.

I’m a big advocate of Samba and I understand quite well the server
message block protocol from my days as a MS NT network admin at Inacom.
I want to prove to all of my old NT zealot colleagues that Linux
can do the same thing and do it better thanks to free and open source
technologies like Samba, but right now I am pulling my hair out and
I have an office full of people that are ready to throw me under
a bus and run over me.

Other than being a rant, I am interested in hearing feedback from
people that ARE using Samba in a WORK / COMMERCIAL environment to
serve office staff of no fewer than 10 people.  Also, it would be
additionally interesting to hear that it is being used as a pdc for
an NT domain and NT network user authentication.  I am interested
in knowing how well it is working for “you” and how many problems
you are having.

My overall analysis will help me to decide if I want to keep going
with Samba or go back to NT server 4.0 sp6a blah blah, which I really
hate even thinking about. :o) But d at mn I am so frustrated right now,
and the thought of having to go into work tomorrow during this icy
crap when I could have otherwise worked from home further frustrated
me with Samba.

There may be things that I am overlooking or doing incorrectly.
However, and no offence to anyone, they won’t be third grade level
- easy to point out mistakes but there might be something concerning
the use of the Samba box as a primary NT domain controller or something
that I am.  I know that there are a lot of brilliant individuals
in this group, so I am eager to receive feedback.

Also, I have so little time to continue to baby-sit this project.
Anyone that is thoroughly familiar with Samba and server message
block; if you would please contract me if you are interested in doing
some contract work in Lincoln. Basically, getting this thing up and
running once and for all and/or pointing out to me what I am missing
I would very much appreciate hearing from you.  I don’t simply want
to re-install and start from scratch, I want to learn what I am possibly
doing wrong OR conclude once and for all that *gasp* Samba is too
immature in its development at this time to serve my needs.

My samba is version 2.0.6 : and yes I do plan to upgrade to the latest
to see if that fixes my problem.  I have no Win2000 pc’s on my LAN
at this time nor do I have any plans to in the near future.  Maybe
the upgrade is all I need to do, what do you think?

-end of rant-

-Derek

ps: Adam at AIM who spoke after Jason during the OLUG meeting, I
lost your b-card, could you please email me your name and contact
information.  Thank you!

____   / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   commando at robotz.com   ___