[olug] My console has fallen and it can't get up

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 1 00:01:09 UTC 2001

Sure this happens all the time, but nobody is going to admit it.
I find that xscreensaver usually has a module or two that will
lock up your display, after it goes beserk.  Netscape can do it as
well, or at least it used to.  I quit using xscreensaver as it's
just not worth my time to figure out how to make it quit
misbehaving.  And if netscape starts to make your box do the death
grind you have to quickly get to another terminal grep the ps id
of netscape and kill -9 it.

What you need to do is kill Xwindows.  I think you can kill the
bash shell that Xwindows was started or spawned from.

crtl-alt-F1
ps ax | grep bash
kill -9 { pid of the spawning bash shell }

Mike McNally		mmcnally3 at prodigy.net