[olug] eth0 again

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at home.com
Fri Aug 31 06:26:22 UTC 2001

Here! Here!

Dave is totally on.  I've been around computers for quite a while and have
seen some strange things.  I won't go in to detail but he is totally
correct.  Sometimes the tolerance ranges grow apart on older equipment.
Save yourself and get a different card.  I realize that throwing money at a
problem is not a true solution but for times like these.....  Ever spend
time copying something on a floppy, moving to another machine putting the
floppy in and you get IO errors ???  Ooooh that chaps my hide.  Something
worth a nickel just cost me 5-10 minutes of my life.  5-10 minutes that
you'll never get back.  How many hours have you put in to that NIC?

I've had good luck with Linksys NICs.  Make sure that you get the "version
2.0" types. (it'll say it right on the box)  the earlier versions did have a
tulip driver issue.   (I've got PCI, PCMCIA an cardbus models all in
production right now) Running on various OSs.  RH, Mandrake, Be, 2k, nt, 98
and 95.

-Jeff