[olug] looking for bargains

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Aug 27 17:08:20 UTC 2001

Thanks for the rundown.  Actually I lucked out (I decided to order before I
talked myself out of it).  I orded a card based on the nVidia TNT chipset
with 32mb of RAM for only $39.  It's an off brand, but according to the RH
HCL the chipset is supported.

I didn't realize S3 had folded although I guess it shouldn't surprise me.
Diamond used to use the S3 chips and frankly I had more headaches with
Diamond cards than any other.

Total order was $322 and a case will run me about $37, so for a mere $360
I'm going to have a new computer that won't be so slow I about have to
shave between screen refreshes.

Bill

                    Jon
                    <thechunk at hom        To:     olug at bstc.net
                    e.com>               cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: [olug] looking for bargains
                    08/27/01
                    11:42 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    olug

Glad you asked.  here is the run down.
the 29 is usually to get hardware based on s3 or old ati boards.  Frankly
these cards were designed as much as 5 years or more ago.  A card based on
radeon or geforce chipsets are less than a year old.  the difference
between the budget and high end cards is usually less than 25% in
performance.  OK so the price difference is 21 dollors.  Here is what I
think you will get for that 21 dollars
1. driver support ( either open or closed source for geforce 2 mx 400  for
linux and good closed drivers for all versions of windows).
2. agp bus ( I really don't think it is a big deal but anyway)
3. play latest games for next 2-3 years ( I know this isn't a big deal to
you but hey it is true)
4. companies still in business so drivers / support will exist ( S3 has
folded )
5. the new geforce is extremly low power consumption.
6. you will get 32mb of vid memory.  You can support just about every
resolution / bit depth with that.

-Jon W

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org