[olug] q:tools to create block diagrams

Jay Woods woodsjay at home.com
Sat Aug 25 12:50:50 UTC 2001

I've never gotten past the first tool I used to create diagrams, xfig,
once I left windows. Even tho it is has no libraries of pieces (no
longer true), I've used it to create:

   * computer network diagrams,
   * program flow diagrams (solved),
   * organic chemical equations (solved),
   * laboratory equipment setups,
   * chemical plant flow sheets (solved) and
   * house plans.

Are there better tools for linux? Are there part files?

Notes:

  1. Since I was sending in this query, I figured that I better read the
     man page. That led me to the library files (which are the
     equivalent to the my idea of part files). The library files
     included are more drawings than diagrams. The IBM flow chart
     template library is there which handles program flow diagrams. I
     haven't been able to find any sources of libraries to add.
  2. I actually read the help doc. That linked me to chemtool which
     solves the organic equations problem. It also linked me to gnuplot
     and xgraph for creating charts. That had been a problem too complex
     to solve with xfig before.
  3. Google (+xfig +library, 10,100 pages)led me to the home site for
     xfig which has extra libraries. In there were the libraries for
     chemical plants, GUIs and UML. The last two are areas in which I
     should be making drawings but never got around to it. Nothing
     helpful turned up when the laboratory or house keywords were added.