@home

David Walker linux_user at grax.com
Wed Aug 22 17:55:26 UTC 2001

Before one is allowed to drive a vehicle on our roads they must prove
that they have the ability and know the rules.  If they cannot prove
that they are limited to vehicles that not capable of exceeding 35 mph.

I don't believe in requiring end users to acquire a license before
operating an internet connected computer but they need to be more
responsible than they are now.  Most end users barely understand that
their computer is just waiting for someone to scan it and take it over
and they probably won't notice when it does get taken over.

I believe the 'no server' policy is due to cost.  Since cable modems are
a shared bandwidth service they need to install more equipment each time
bandwidth usage in a neighborhood gets too high.  If everyone is running
servers their bandwidth gets used faster which means less profit for
them and higher costs for cable modem users.

Most end users wouldn't even notice the blocking of these ports.