[olug] Debian?

Hungate Jim Hungate_Jim at prc.com
Fri Aug 10 14:43:51 UTC 2001

I've actually seen 3D running in Linux. You're missing out.
I found out that in Mandrake 8.0 w/ XFree86 4.0.3 that The driver for the
Voodoo4/5 cards has been (incorrectly) statically linked against the Voodoo3
libraries. So I (attempted) upgrading to XFree86 4.1.0 from Mandrakes
"cooker" distro. Anyway, I ended downloading and installing about 20
different packages to try and make sure I had all the libraries I was going
to need and it didn't seem to work. So I tried running XFree86 3.3.6 (I'm
sure it was really a mixture of the messed up packages I had loaded) and for
some strange reason, 3D worked! I finally got see things like TuxRacer,
Chromium, GLtron, etc in all their glory. I even loaded some Loki demos
(Heavy Gear II, Heretic II, & Soldier of Fortune). It was great, everything
ran beautiful with great frame rates, and I thought "Finally, I can get rid
of Windows, I don't need to keep it around for gaming!". Then the next day,
my son was playing, and when something messed up, he shut the computer off.
Of course when I booted the computer back up, it was finding errors, and
fscking and all that fun stuff, and my 3D was history. I've tried repeating
my steps of before with no luck. So I figure the best thing to is load a
distro that actually contains 4.1.0
I've tasted 3D gaming in Linux and I'm hooked!

Jim Hungate

The box said "Requires Windows95 or better", so I installed Linux