[olug] RE: [OLUG] Linux install

Jon thechunk at thechunk.dhs.org
Tue Aug 7 15:05:11 UTC 2001

> I use SuSE in enterprise class systems for a few simple reasons. logical
> volumes, and reiserFS ( journalled filesystem ) SuSE supports them out of
> the box without any issues.

Note: Slackware 8.0 and Mandrake (current) also support this.  To install reiserfs with slackware you need to use the boot image "ide245.i".  It isn't much different after that.  Just make sure you install the 2.4.5 kernel adn not the 2.2.19 in the a1 packages.  One other note about Slackware 7.1 was the only distro that supported all the hadrware in my laptop out of the box.  Pretty impressive.  I don't know if 8.0 still does or not.

-Jon W