[olug] RE: [OLUG] Linux install

Jon thechunk at thechunk.dhs.org
Tue Aug 7 14:59:30 UTC 2001

Here is my opinion ( very much so ) on the distros I have tried.
Redhat - The distro I learned on.  It makes me mad sometimes because I can't stand rpm.  It drives me nuts when I install libs outside of rpm and it tells me i am missing dependencies.  Because I have begun building lots of software I quit using redhat.

Slackware - My distro of choice.  I think the install is one of the best tutorials on linux I have ever seen ( it tells what you need to do why you need to do it and how to do it ).  But it is a text install.  Its package manager will let you install anything even if it thinks dependencies are missing.  Using checkinstall i can compile source code and install on the fly allowing clean removal later.

Mandrake - A favorite of my friend.  It is a wonderful install package that comes with everythig under the sun.  However when I see a "special" sleep process running in the background or it rewrites my root path for me it makes me angry.

-Jon W