[olug] RE: [OLUG] Linux install

Mike Peterson mikejack at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 7 12:39:00 UTC 2001

I would like to see information or a discussion on what are the benefits and
drawbacks to any distribution from the personal experience of those on the
list.
I will put in my two cents also.
I am always looking for new distributions to try out that can be used for
multi or special purpose projects.
One that I am watching now is smoothwall at www.smoothwall.org.
They are due out with a new release this week.
There system is based on RedHat and provides a gateway/firewall setup.
One other one that I use based on Redhat is e-smith.
www.e-smith.org and www.e-smith.com.

I use Redhat at work, school, and home.

I use Mandrake at work and home.
I use SUSE at work and home.
I use Slackware at work and home.
I use FreeBSD at work and home.

I tried TurboLinux and like it's configuration programs/scripts.
I tried Caldera and like the 2.3 release but am disappointed in what comes
with the 3.1 release.
I know, you can add to them.

I tried Debian and found it hard to configure.
But not as hard as Solaris.
I tried Progeny but found it is not ready for prime time yet.

I tried OpenBSD and found it similar to Debian.
You need to build your system up from scratch like an SCO UNIX system.
I tried NetBSD and it is similar to OpenBSD and only for secure setups and
not
for fun and games systems that are used for development and entertainment.

I tried Corel and it looked good but is no longer supported.