[olug] SAMBA

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Wed Aug 1 20:31:58 UTC 2001

It's important to make sure of several things:

First make sure that the workgroup setting in the smb.conf file matches the
workgroup/domain the NT server thinks it's on.  You had "workgroup=mygroup"
so if the NT server thinks it's on workgroup/domain mygroup then you should
be fine.

The next thing to do is make sure it isn't a user authentication problem.

The easiest way to set up Samba is to use no security at all.  Warning, only
do this for testing, don't do this in a live (or worse yet public internet)
setup.  To completely remove any semblance of security from Samba, add the
following lines to the smb.conf file:

in your [global] section add
security = SHARE
map to guest = Bad User
guest account = root
hosts allow = 10.0.0 127. (substitute in the ip address of your local
networks for the 10.0.0)

and then under your [public] share section add:
guest ok = Yes

This means anybody can access the share with full root level permissions.
Like I said, only do something this insanely insecure for testing.

Also make sure you check the basics, like making sure that "hostname" does
resolve to the right server on the NT box :)

--Nick Walter