[olug] Restarting rc.local

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Fri Sep 29 01:14:12 UTC 2000

> Rc.local is a startup script, thus, you dont "restart it".  If you make
> ipchains rules, flush your ruleset and enter the whole IPchains
> ruleset.  You may want to put this in a seperate file, then have rc.local
> call that file.  This will make it easier to do what you want..

RedHat (and probably many derivatives, I don't have any around to check)
have the initscript /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains.

Running "/etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains restart" will flush and reload the
ipchains rulesets.  However, /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains will only work if
the file /etc/sysconfig/ipchains exists; you can create it with

	ipchains-save > /etc/sysconfig/ipchains

If you have the correct symlink under the directory /etc/rc.d/rc?.d for
your runlevel (the default runlevel, 3, is the directory /etc/rc.d/rc3.d),
the ruleset in /etc/sysconfig/ipchains will be loaded at boot.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

"There are two things that are infinite; Human stupidity and the universe.
And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein