[olug] RedHat 7.0 available

Tim Russell russell at probe.net
Wed Sep 27 19:20:31 UTC 2000

From: "Phil Brutsche" <phil at fury.brutsche.org>
Subject: Re: [olug] RedHat 7.0 available

> > I installed NcFTPd for the FTP server since the creator was from UN-L.
> > I know it may not be the best reason but it's better than nothing.
>
> Don't usually see much from that one...

    It's a daemon designed for high-capacity downloading, written by a
friend of mine, Mike Gleason, who is a programming god.  Unbelievably
amazing kid, believe you me.

    All of the stuff that a regular FTP deamon usually forks off, like
/bin/ls etc is totally built in on NcFTPd, and it forks children off to wait
for requests a la Apache.   Very cool stuff, you'll notice it at times in
use on big servers - Netscape's download sites for the latest release are
the biggest that come to mind, but there are others.

    Very cool tech and very secure, and I'm not just saying that because
he's a friend of mine.

Tim #1, who's moving to Denver in a month, much, I'm sure, to the happiness
of Tim #2 :)