[olug] emacs book

Mark A. Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Wed Sep 27 00:58:01 UTC 2000

Okay, you're stuck with my asinine, opinionated messages.

I don't advocate emacs over vi.  I just like both of them and feel that
they each have their uses.  In my early days, I was a diehard, brute
force vi user that shunned emacs for being unnecessarily complicated and
shockingly memory intensive.

As far as I've been able to learn, there is no set file size limit in
emacs.  In fact, I read a newsgroup message that claimed that emacs can
handle gigabyte size files.  (Considering how much it can do and how
long they've been developing it, it would be surprizing if it had such a
fundamental limitation.)  However, the total size of the buffers you
have open seems to be limited by available memory.  According to the
emacs info file, if you exhaust your memory, emacs will let you know and
give you the opportunity to save any modified files and close some of
your open buffers.  It sets aside enough memory to allow you to save
your open files.  I have never seen this happen and I've edited some
pretty huge files using emacs. Also, I'm not sure how the size of the
buffer that emacs keeps in memory relates to the file size.  But perhaps
this is the file size limit that you were thinking of, Dave.

Mark
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington