[olug] emacs book

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Tue Sep 26 00:18:15 UTC 2000

> A better book for solving your emacs problems once and for all is by
> Linda Lamb and Arnold Robbins, ISBN 1565924266.
>
> And while we are on the subject, what is the file size limit in emacs?

What's the title, let me guess:
	Delete This Bloated Pig of a Program

I think when many were operating in black screen mode, the ability to
browse files, web pages, edit files, read mail, read news, and do the
dishes, was a great attribute.  Fast forward to current day pc use and
we're all using multiple desktops each with several xterms open on it.
Do I want an editor hogging memory, no.  Do I want to be able to do
just about everything from one xterm, well, it would be a neat trick,
and I used emacs quite a bit for a while, but it's much easier to just
have multiple xterms.  Now that I think about it, I liked emacs a lot
but it's a lot easier to manage multiple xterms than multiple virual
terms... 'cause you can see 'em, that makes them easier for using as
references.  I like vim.

There's a section on emacs in Unix In a Nutshell, that's a nice book,
and in Unix For the Impatient, haven't read that for a while, and in
Unix Power Tools, another good book.  I refer to unix in a nutshell
more.

emacs is like windows

mike