[olug] firewall dump

mesc mescie at home.com
Mon Sep 25 17:11:48 UTC 2000

I'm having a hard time explaining my problem but here it goes........

I thought that you told us that there are 160-some lines in the file.
How did it suddenly grow to more than 200,000?

The actual text in my rc.firewall is 162 lines,above and beyond the 162
(163-200,000 +) is just the \ or newline character.

If the file became corrupted in some
strange way, you might want to recreate it rather than trying to edit
the corrupted version.

I have copied and pasted  the text only into a new file 3 times.I
haven't tried  entering it by hand yet because there is so much text but
that may be my only real option left.

This brings up an important point.  Always make a copy of a critical
file before editing it.

There was nothing to back up in the first place,I've started this script
using rules that Phil Brutsche sent me.My original rc.firewall was
blank.

I realize I need to become proficient at helping myself but even after
reading various man pages I feel like I've hit a brick wall with this
problem.

Editing is one of the most fundamental tasks required for using Linux
effectively and it would be more productive for you to take the time to
learn it well before you spend more time working on advanced topics such

as firewalling.  All of us had to invest the time to develop this
critical skill before attempting more complicated tasks and you should
too.<<You've hit the nail on the head there Mark.

                        Thank you,Gary Martin