[olug] more chattr

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Sun Sep 17 05:46:23 UTC 2000

mesc wrote:

> I think I'm getting it now.The only reason you would want to chattr +i a file
> is if it's a old log file for example and it  might contain evidence of someone
> comprimising your box and you didn't want that person to get back in your box
> and change the logfile in his favor or just delete the whole log file.Am I
> warmer?
>
>             Gary Martin
I think you've got it.  Here are some examples of other uses.

chattr +u (undelete) a user's home directory so you can easily recover
accidentally deleted files.

chattr +c (compress) files that are huge and infrequently accessed.

chattr +s (zero blocks) for your bosses confidential mail files, when
deleted.

Like I said it's a very useful, but often overlooked, tool.