[olug] more chattr

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Sun Sep 17 05:25:01 UTC 2000

archival log file.... not log file.  And no I haven't yet figured out
how to set up the archival logs to be immutable.  There's probably some
syslog.conf file where it could be done from.  Here's the source of this
info:
	http://www.softpanorama.org/Security/best_unix_security_papers.shtml

...and the info I am refurring to:
Secure log files
     The immutable and append-only attributes are particularly effective
when used in combination with log files and log
     backups. You should set active log files to append only. When the
logs are rotated, the backup log file created by the
     rotation should be set to immutable, while the new active log file
becomes append only. This usually requires some
     manipulation of your log rotation scripts.

mike