[olug] deb2.2 mail: likely a procmail err

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Fri Sep 8 04:18:01 UTC 2000

exim is piping mail to procmail which can append it to
/var/spool/mail/mike, but when I add to the .procmailrc

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
SHELL=/bin/bash
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
LOGFILE=$HOME/log
VERBOSE=on

:0:
* ^From:[ 	]*bob*
$MAILDIR/asap

:0:
$MAILDIR/mbox

The log file gets posted to my ~ and in it it says that it can't open
the $MAILDIR.
Exact error is:

error while writing to /home/mike/Mail

When it creates the log file.  It creates the file log^M which I can
tell by using the tab complete command feature.  I think this ^M is the
problem and have posted this on the procmail mailing list.  Since
procmail seems to think the dirs should have ^M's after them I renamed
them that way, and since procmail is have access problems I chmod'd to
777 dir status.  SAME ERROR.  I think maybe there is something in exim
overiding the .procmailrc, bwdik.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

mike