[olug] POP3 SSL

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Tue Sep 5 19:01:19 UTC 2000

> That's not exactly it...I have been told that you can actually use the
> SSL POP3 access in Netscape Mail for example to actually SSL into a
> POP mail server...I was wondering if it is actually worth looking into
> for setting up a secure mail server...

I've seen some commercial mail systems that do POP3 over SSL.  I've never
seen any pre-packaged OSS software that does that.

Some ideas:
 * Try custom compiling some POP3 daemons (ie qpopper) from source - one
   might have SSL as a compile-time option.
 * Search for sslwrap on freshmeat.  It's a SSL wrapper for non-SSL
   programs.  It might do what you want.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein