[olug] Need some help please

Brian Roberson brian at bstc.net
Thu Oct 26 01:41:02 UTC 2000

> > 1)  I am using tar to backup to the tape drive and it seems successful
> > but I do not know how to look at the contents on the tape.  I have tried
> > to mount it and that is obviously not the way.  How can I see what is on
> > the tape?
>
> hmmm...will this work?
>  tar tvf /dev/your-tape-device
> see 'man tar' for more info. the tape probably needs to be rewound?

yes, this works -t = table of contents

> > 2)  Should I be using tar or would dump be the better choice.
> don't know anything about dump. tar has been around forever and still
> does the job. can't speak for dump.

tar is perfect, hence tar == Tape Archive and Restore

> > 3)  I currently have the backups being done as cron jobs.  Is this the
> > way I should handle my backups, and if so would someone be willing to
> > post their cron entries for backup so I can see how others are handeling
> > this?
crontab has 6 fields:
minute,hour,day,month,day-of-month,command

0 1 * * * /usr/local/bin/backup.sh > /var/log/backup.log 2>&1

This will run /usr/local/bin/backup.sh, every day at 1:00 AM

> > I am going to be telnetting into this machine from windows quite often
> > to monitor log files and such and was wondering if I should be using
> > VT100?  I have noticed that when I use vi and other apps from a windows
> > telnet session using VT100 it seems all screwed up.

whatever works for you, I personally use Vandyke's SecureCRT, it has
telnet,rlogin,serial,and ssh support. vt100 with ansi color is probably your
best bet with linux.