[olug] Which Distribution

Aaron Grothe grothe at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 26 01:22:45 UTC 2000

Hi,

Chris M Miller wrote:

> I'm building a new machine and can't decied what distribution to run on
> it.  I've have current release of Slackware
> on one of my machines, but I think its learning-curve is too high for me
> right now, and also Debian.  I'm a bit of a Newbie, only running Mandrake
> since the start of the New Year.  Should I try Red Had or SuSE?

I hate to ask this question.  But why not run Mandrake?  Mandrake can run 99%
of all Red Hat software.  Mandrake 7.2 is coming out in a couple of weeks
with KDE 2.0 and a variety of other updates available.  Mandrake is a very
good distribution to learn/work with.  If you are looking for a desktop
distro, Mandrake is almost perfect.

> Also, is there an input line to enter to see what version of distribution
> I'm running?

Not that I know of.  "uname -a" will tell you what kernel you are running,
which well usually give you a clue.

Regards,

Aaron
=-=-=
"The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying