[olug] disk space under NIS

Rado Bonk rado at cosmos.dsc.unomaha.edu
Mon Oct 23 00:58:39 UTC 2000

Hi,
This is a kind of practical question. Lets imagine we have a network of 6
computers and one server. Local computers use their own HDD space, but
they use HDD only through ftp. Later on we installed NIS service. And
every user who signed up to a local machine, use directly the HDD on
server, even if he works on local machine. The result is that local HDDs
on local machines are not used anymore. This is not good, because we are
loosing 25-30 GB of disk space (which is 50% of server's disk
capacity!). Is there a way how to use local disks and have advantage from
NIS at the same time? Is there a way how to mount them to server's
directory structure or something similar?
There is an proprietary UNIX system on our hypotetic network.

Rado

Rado Bonk
Geography and Geology
UNO, Nebraska, 68182-0199,