[olug] ident

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Sat Oct 21 05:57:02 UTC 2000

mesc wrote:

> I found a bunch of lines like this in my daemon.log if that helps anyone
> guess my problem..........Oct 20 23:30:38 omhan1 inetd[7283]: auth/tcp:
> bind: Address already in use.
>
>             Thank you,Gary Martin

Let's check a couple of other things while we're at it.

Do:
netstat -nl --tcp
Is port 113 listening ( 0.0.0.0:113 )?

Do:
nslookup <your ip#>
hostname -f
Are the hostnames identical?

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.)  identd publishes your username
and hostname.  This is used by other systems to verify that your identd
info matches reverse DNS lookup info.  That's a laughable authentication
method, but I believe that's how it works.  It looks like your hostname
is set to "omhan1".  It should be something like
cx123456-a.omhan1.ne.home.com