[olug] Redhat Versus Debian

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Tue Oct 17 17:14:32 UTC 2000

> I've found package management in general, and apt-get (a Debian feature)
> in particular, quite handy for a lazy person like myself.  For example:
>
> * "apt-get upgrade" lets you update your system automagically via the 'net.

You can use the following with new versions of rpm:

rpm -F ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/updates/7.0/i386/*

-F is also --freshen

This just updates the packages you already have installed, if there are any
updates.
The location of the packegas can be any mount, ftp or http address.

I'm curious now.  Can apt-get do signature verification like rpm does?  ie..

gpg --import /mnt/cdrom/RPM-GPG-KEY
rpm --checksig ftp://server/wherever