[olug] Redhat Versus Debian

Jon Warren thechunk at thechunk.dhs.org
Tue Oct 17 13:29:49 UTC 2000

> If you want an easy distribution, don't pick Debian; it's not what you
> want.  Sure, it is a lot easier than, say, Slackware or Windows NT, but
> Debian is the distribution of doing it right even if it hurts.
> --
> Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
> Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619
> http://incolor.inetnebr.com/burchell/                  burchell at acm.org

Is Slackware really that bad?  I have installed it and prefer its simplicity over Redhat.  I don't have to learn a complex runlevel scheme and I never get dependency problems from installing something on my own instead of through a package manager(rpm).  I have had a great experience with Slackware.  I have only tried RedHat and Slackware and Mandrake but it has been a while on Mandrake and I never could finish the install.  I don't have any problems recomending Slackware.

-Jon