[olug] multiple OS's On 2 disks

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Tue Nov 28 19:17:35 UTC 2000

it just occurred to me that if you're booted into suse, you probably
won't have the redhat root mounted anywhere if your fs, and vice versa.
this would prevent lilo from being able to install both kernels and make
them available for booting.

you may need to temporarily mount the the other distro's root directory,
then edit lilo.conf appropriately before running lilo

say you're in redhat where root is /dev/hda6
you will need to say

mkdir /mnt/suse
mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/suse

[then edit lilo.conf]
 label=suse
 root=/dev/hda8
 image=/mnt/suse/boot/name-of-kernel-image

 label=redhat
 root=/dev/hda6
 image=/boot/name-of-kernel-image
[end of lilo.conf editing]

lilo

you'll have to make any appropriate changes to make it really work. good
luck.