[olug] just curious

mesc mescie at home.com
Mon Nov 6 17:42:19 UTC 2000

There is probably nothing wrong with logcheck or how you have
it configured.  The problem is that Netscape 4.x can only retrieve mail
from one server (unless they're IMAP servers).  This can be a remote
machine, say at your ISP, school, or work, or it can be your local
machine.

Apparently when I had logcheck working before it was sending  the logcheck
report to my isp mail server where when I went to check my mail I would
download it to my inbox.Ideally I would  like to use my machine to send the
logcheck report to my inbox therefore doing away with sending that  data
anywhere to the outside world (would I have to make my machine a mail server
then?)

> I'm assuming that this means that your
> machine is connected to the Internet 24 hours a day.

I have a cable modem but I activate/deactivate the interface throughout the
day so no I'm not connected 24 hours a day.

1. You could have the output from logcheck sent to your ISP and then
continue to have Netscape retrieve your mail there.  This would involve
making sure that the mail transfer agent (MTA) on your local machine is
properly configured to send mail to remote addresses.  You would also
probably have to forward the mail from your local account or configure
logcheck to mail your remote account.

I think I had it this way originally 2 months ago when it was working and I
think it's configured that way now,here are a few lines from my maillog that
appear to be mailing it to /var/spool/mail/mesc where the report is showing up
but it's not e-mailing it to netscape's messenger,pine  or any mail reader for
that matter which leads me to  believe it's a configure problem......Nov  6
11:00:01 omhan1 sendmail[10685]: LAA10685: to=mesc, delay=00:00:00, xdela
y=00:00:00, mailer=local, stat=Sent
Nov  6 11:00:09 omhan1 sendmail[10670]: LAA10670: to=mesc, ctladdr=root (0/0),
elay=00:00:09, xdelay=00:00:08, mailer=local, stat=Sent
I'm also getting a 2nd e-mail sent to /var/spool/mail/mesc relating to user
unknown...........
Nov  6 11:00:01 omhan1 sendmail[10683]: LAA10683: to=check, delay=00:00:00,
mail
er=local, stat=User unknown
Nov  6 11:00:01 omhan1 sendmail[10683]: LAA10683: to=11/06/00:11.00,
delay=00:00
:00, mailer=local, stat=User unknown
Nov  6 11:00:01 omhan1 sendmail[10683]: LAA10683: to=omhan1.ne.home.com,
delay=0
0:00:00, mailer=local, stat=User unknown
I'm sure this is because when I run /usr/local/etc/logcheck.sh I  get
check... User unknown
11/06/00:11.27... User unknown
omhan1.ne.home.com... User unknown at the prompt where as you know if
everything went allright it would return nothing at the prompt,so this must be
why I'm getting 2 reports mailed to /var/spool/mail/mesc for each  time
logcheck e-mails /var/spool/mail/mesc,one normal and one user unknown.

3. Run an IMAP server on your local machine and configure Netscape to
retrieve local and remote mail.  This will not work if the remote server
is not an IMAP server.

This sounds like what I'll do if it's not too complicated.

I remember you saying that you're running Mandrake.  If
so, then you're probably using Postfix as your local MTA.

Yes I am running postfix.

I've read most of the links you've mentioned and I haven't had any luck yet
but I will keep reading  them over and over,it might be a few words I missed
and misconfigured something ...that's all it takes :)

                    Thank you,Gary Martin