[OLUG] UNL LUG

J.R. Wessels dafroman at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 21:13:08 UTC 2000

Hello all!  My name is J.R. Wessels and I am the one trying to form the LUG
on the UNL campus.  Currently the plan is just to make a UNL LUG for a
number of reasons.  The first is the group would have access to university
resources for free or for a small fee.  Things such as liability insurance
(like if we want a fund raiser, have someone's machine blow up during an
installation, have a group BBQ, etc.), server space, a group email account,
and space to meet (with ethernet connections, projectors, computers for
presentations).

Another consideration is money.  There is financial backing to some degree
from ASUN (but the amount is laughably small) and Pepsi grant money (this is
where the real funding comes from).  If we decide to do some fund raising or
take dues (I would like to avoid this as much as possible), the university
has organization checking accounts.

Right now the next move is to get a letter of intent summitted to ASUN so we
can have the first meeting.  At the end of the semester, a constitution must
be summitted to ASUN for approval.  After that, the UNL LUG is officially
recognized by the University of Nebraska.

I have put together a very pleminary web site for the LUG.  My html skills
are very limited, so keep that in mind ;).  It's located on my CSE account,
but when the LUG is official, it will move to the main university web
server.  http://www.cse.unl.edu/~jwessels

Any comments, suggestions, or questions are welcome.  Also, I would like one
of these days to attend one of your meetings.  Talk to ya later!

J.R. Wessels
jwessels at cse.unl.edu